In March 2013 the government announced that they were going to provide an additional £150m-a-year to improve provision for Primary School PE and Sport.
In February 2014 the Prime Minister, David Cameron committed to continue the funding for the Primary PE & Sport Premium until 2020.
In January 2015, the Department for Education announced the revised vision and objective of the Primary PE and School Sport Premium.
VISION: All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
OBJECTIVE: To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
We would expect indicators of such improvement to include:
• the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
• the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
• increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
• broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
• increased participation in competitive sport
Our aim is to support the most effective interventions based upon the identified needs of individual and clusters of schools, their teachers and, most importantly, young people themselves.
In considering options for maximising and sustaining the impact of this funding, some things to think about:
Senior Development Officer | CYP and Safeguarding Lead
- C/O SCDC East Suffolk House, Station Road, Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1RT
- 01394 444773