Great East Run
Great East Run Outreach Programme
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS FOR THIS PROGRAMME WILL OPEN FROM THE 1ST MARCH 2018
Welcome to the Great East Run outreach programme, developed by Suffolk Sport and Suffolk County Council. The programme provides an opportunity for up to 50 Suffolk residents who are currently inactive and over the age of 18 to take part in a progressive programme of training and support to help them get physically active, with the goal of taking part in the Great East Run in 2018, alongside an estimated 3,500 participants.
To be eligible for a place on the programme you must be currently inactive (undertaking/or doing) less than 30 minutes of moderate/vigorous activity per week).
Participants will receive an extensive programme of support from experienced run coaches with expert advice and guidance from double Olympic long distance runner Paul Evans.
Participants will receive the following support over the course of 4 months to develop their stamina, fitness and confidence to take on the 13.1mile course:
- Weekly supported training sessions by two experienced local run coaches
- Exclusive discount on all running footwear and clothing at Coes of Ipswich
- Gait analysis and advice on the most appropriate footwear to suit your walking/running style
- Entry into the Great East Run 2018 (Date to be confirmed)
- Entry into the Twilight 10K (Date to be confirmed)
- Fast track physiotherapy support from Allied Health Professionals
Past Participants Quotes and Comments
"The programme has really boosted my confidence and has motivated me to continue taking part in exercise now that I know that I can!" Sarah
"I now feel healthier and fitter and am not so self-conscious when I go out in my running gear, meaning I am more likely to keep it up." Lorraine
"This programme has had such a positive impact on my life, in lots of areas. I feel so much fitter and stronger, and way more confident to go out and exercise with others in the future. It has made me realise that even 30 mins of time spent walking/jogging/running has a big positive influence on how I feel mentally. I know this is just the start for me, and I am looking forward to the future with exercise as part of my life." Claire
"I never dreamed I would ever run a half marathon. I now feel confident to just go out for a run on my own. One thing ticked off the bucket list!!" Leanne
"The programme was outstanding and really has been life changing for me." John
Entry Criteria and Programme Location
The programme is worth over £300 but costs just £30 to join.
Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis to individuals meeting the entry criteria below:
- Suffolk Resident
- Over the age of 18 at the start of the programme
- Inactive (undertaking/doing less than 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per week).
- Commit to attend at least 75% of the weekly coached sessions
- Commit to train at least once per week in addition to the coached session
- Be available to participate in the Great East Run in September 2018 (date TBC)
- Make a contribution of £30 to the programme
Moderate activity will raise your heart rate, and make you breathe faster and feel warmer. One way to tell if you're working at a moderate level is if you can still talk, but you can't sing the words to a song. Vigorous activity makes you breathe hard and fast. If you're working at this level, you won't be able to say more than a few words without pausing for breath.
- Location: Ipswich
- Venues: Various
- Starts: TBC
- Day: TBC
- Time: TBC
To find out more email Carol.firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Carol on 07955 735514