Most Active County
Most Active County is a countywide collaboration to use the momentum of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games to promote healthy, active lifestyles, shift inactive behaviours and address the barriers that communities or individuals face in accessing sport, leisure and physical activity opportunities.
Most Active County provides a framework for partners to work together to create, promote and commission sport and physical activity opportunities that support accessible healthy lifestyles to flourish in Suffolk.
There are significant and compelling reasons why this initiative is needed, including:
- 50% of adults in Suffolk do not take part in any sporting or physical activity.
- Just one in five people take part in recommended levels of sport and physical activity.
- Illnesses and diseases related to inactivity cost Suffolk an estimated £12.2m each year.
- 16% of year 6 children in Suffolk are classified as obese
- Changing the lifestyle of just 1% of Suffolk’s inactive population will deliver significant health benefits to 5,700 people.
Key partners include Suffolk County Council, district and borough councils, NHS Suffolk, Healthy Ambitions Suffolk, Suffolk Chamber of Commerce, ITFC Trust, Suffolk Sport and the government’s community sport body Sport England.